An early 19th century distillery on the Cowal peninsula.
Campbeltown single malt Scotch whisky
Although known to have operated in Argyll, the precise location of Ballure distillery is hard to pin down. Balure (with one L) farm still exists today, about two miles north of Tayinloan off the A83, across from the island of Gigha. It has numerous byres (barns) and outbuildings, one of which may well have housed the distillery.
Ballure distillery was opened by Donald Carmichael and Co. in 1817, but was mothballed by the following year. In 1825 it reopened under license to Dugald Colquhoun and Co., but was handed over to James Taylor in 1831 and Duncan McIntyre in 1833.
From then on the distillery operated intermittently, until its eventual closure in 1837.
- 1817 Ballure opens under Donald Carmichael and Co.
- 1818 The distillery is mothballed
- 1825 The distillery is reopened by Dugald Colquhoun and Co.
- 1831 James Taylor becomes the licensee
- 1833 Duncan McIntyre takes over
- 1834 McIntyre operates as a ‘sometime distiller’
- 1837 The distillery closes
Argyll and Bute
A far-flung distillery on the Isle of Tiree that distilled in the early 19th century.
Argyll based distillery that operated intermittently from 1816 to 1834.
A short-lived distillery in the village of Rhu, on the east shore of Gareloch.