Japanese-owned malt distillery.
J&W Hardie Profile
J&W Hardie Ltd started out as an Edinburgh tea, wine and spirits merchant and evolved into the founder of a legendary blended Scotch. The business also became licensee of Benromach distillery when it was owned by The Distillers Company Ltd, and later became a subsidiary of the Tomatin Distillery Company Ltd.
J&W Hardie History
The firm was established in Edinburgh during 1857 as a tea blender and wine and spirits merchant by James Hardie. His sons, John and William, followed him into the business and created The Antiquary blend. The name – taken from the Walter Scott novel of the same title – was registered in 1888.
Ultimately, J&W Hardie Ltd was acquired by The Distillers Company Ltd, and became a subsidiary of Wm Sanderson & Son Ltd, based in south Queensferry, near Edinburgh. It was purchased in 1994 along with The Antiquary brand by the Tomatin Group, operator of the eponymous Inverness-shire distillery. The firm was used to represent the branded goods side of the business alongside the Tomatin Distillery Co Ltd, until the two entities were amalgamated during 2014 under the latter company name.
The Tomatin Distillery Company Limited
- +44 1463 248148