A one-year distillery in Stirlingshire, opened and closed in 1826.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Fintry distillery, also spelled Fintrie, stood in its namesake village in Stirlingshire for an astonishing 28 years from 1817 to 1845, a longevity unmatched by most other distilleries of that era.
One source states the distillery stood in what is now Dunmore Gardens, a cul-de-sac of detached houses in the village of Fintry. If so, it drew its water from Cooper's Burn and stood close to Main Street, near or diagonally opposite Endrick distillery. The difference is Endrick opened and closed in 1826, whereas Fintry lasted from 1817 to 1845.
The distillery was licensed to James Cowan and Co. in 1817 and Mr Cowan remained at the helm until he was sequestrated (even the most durable and long-lasting distillers were not immune from sequestration) in 1845.
- 1817 Opened and operated by James Cowan and Co.
- 1845 James Cowan sequestrated, distillery closed.