A long-surviving urban distillery in Dunfermline, once considered one of Scotland’s premier cities.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Pitheven, probably a misspelling of Pitlever or Pitliver, is one of the earliest registered distilleries. OS coordinates place it southeast of Pitliver House and southwest of Dunfermline town centre at a location today known as Mid Mill. Pitheven lay just north of where the A985 road now links the M90 with the Kincardine Bridge and Alloa.
It would have taken its water from the nearby Lyne Burn, which wove a tortuous course south to the Firth of Forth.
Pitheven distillery was opened, or possibly just registered with the authorities, by William Millar in 1783 but was closed that same year.
- 1783 Pitheven distillery is opened/registered by William Millar
- 1783 The distillery is closed