One of a swathe of lost Islay distilleries, Bridgend was briefly licensed in the early 19th century.
Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Scarabus, its current spelling, is an isolated farm about two miles north of Bridgend, roughly midway between the Lochs Skerrols and Cam. It is close to a burn that feeds into the River Drolsay on its meandering course from Glen Drolsay to Loch Skerrols and from there on into the north end of Lochindaal near Islay House.
Scarabuss distillery was licensed to John Darrock & Co. in 1817 but he closed the following year. The farm on which the distillery was located is currently in operation under a Mr A H Kerr.
- 1817 The distillery at Scarabuss farm is licensed to John Darrock & Co.
- 1818 Scarabuss distillery is closed
Isle of Islay
Argyll and Bute