Global asset manager with Scotch whisky connections and own-label bottlings to its name.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Early Aberdeen documents refer to Stoneytown (also spelled Stonytown) as a large dam and reservoir on the Denburn that supplied the brewery and factories in the Gilcomston area.
Another source describes it as a small farmstead and row of cottages in the town’s western area. However, no maps from the time contain the words Stoneytown or Stonytown, or any reference to a distillery, while a myriad of new streets and buildings erected over nearly two centuries have altered the area beyond recognition.
Stoneytown distillery was first licensed to Robertson & Co. from 1825-26, before ownership passed to James Sim, or Simm, in 1827.
Sim remained at the helm for around six years, before finally closing Stoneytown in 1833.
- 1825 The distillery is licensed to Robertson & Co.
- 1827 The licence passes to James Sim/Simm
- 1833 Stoneytown distillery is closed
Lost riverside distillery supposedly burned down by smugglers.
Fleeting rural 19th century distillery that operated in the village of Blackburn near Aberdeen.
A major distillery in Aberdeen with a long and interesting history. Also known as North of Scotland.