This blended malt was produced by the Glenfyne Distillery Co for a short time in the 1930s.
Glen Fyne Profile
Blended Scotch Whisky
The make up of Glen Fyne is unknown but given that it took its name from the Glenfyne distillery at Ardrishaig and was licensed to the company of the same name, we can surmise it contained a fair amount of its malt.
The blend was one of many produced by Robertson & Baxter during the mid-20 century.
Glen Fyne History
Glenfyne distillery was built in 1831 on the idyllic banks of the Crinan Canal at Ardrishaig. After numerous changes of ownership and a change of name to Glendarroch in the 1870s (reverting back to Glenfyne in 1879), it was acquired by Robertson & Baxter Ltd. in 1919 and licensed to the Glenfyne Distillery Co.
The Glen Fyne blend was exported to the US following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, but even with renewed access to the US market, it never became a popular brand.
The distillery closed not long after, in 1937, though its warehouses continued to be used for several years. Eventually Robertson & Baxter discontinued the Glen Fyne blend in the 1970s.
- 1831 The Glenfyne distillery is built in Ardrishaig
- 1919 Robertson & Baxter Ltd establishes the Glenfyne Distillery Co Ltd, which takes over operation of Glenfyne distillery
- 1933 The Glen Fyne blend is exported to the US
- 1937 Glenfyne distillery ceases operation
- 1970s Glen Fyne is withdrawn from export markets