Douglas Murdoch & Company Profile
Douglas Murdoch & Co. was created as a subsidiary of blender and bottler Campbell & Clark Ltd in the 1970s. Its purpose was to market the Duncan’s Reserve and Murdoch’s Special brands, although it also bottled a small handful of its own whiskies in the 1990s – three Port Ellens and a 1973 Ledaig.
Douglas Murdoch & Company History
Campbell & Clark was originally established in 1934 as a blending and bottling subsidiary of Train & McIntyre, which later owned Fettercairn and Benromach distilleries, among others.
It wasn’t until Campbell & Clark was under the ownership of Speyside Distillery Company founder, George Christie, that Douglas Murdoch & Co was established in 1970.
However, with the downturn in the market at the start of the 1980s, Christie ceased trading through Douglas Murdoch. Its brands continued to be marketed by the company, which also released four single malt whiskies under its name in 1992-94.
Christie sold Speyside Distillery Company along with its subsidiaries and brands, to a private investment group in 2000. Campbell & Clark was eventually dissolved in 2010.