A short-lived lost distillery located in Airdrie, Lanarkshire.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
The distillery was located in its namesake village of Airdrie in North Lanarkshire, a town not known for its whisky. It stood at the junction of Hallcraig Street, South Bridge Street, and Bank Street – the main north-south thoroughfare through the town centre at the time.
This was slightly downstream from a dam on the South Burn which, with the North Burn, was one of two streams flowing east-to-west through the town. One must assume it was on quite a cramped site, now part of the town centre.
Airdrie is listed under six owners over a 60-year lifespan from around the 1780s to 1852. It is possible that some owners or operators may have changed the company name on one or more occasions.
The subsequent history of the site is unknown. A slightly later map shows a brewery just across the street, which today, like the distillery, is long-vanished.
- c.1780s Airdrie distillery is opened by James Scoullar
- 1793 Scoullar is sequestrated and the distillery is closed
- 1795 Andrew Thomson & Co. takes on the licence at Airdrie
- 1795-6 The distillery closes once more
- 1816 Airdrie is re-opened by Baillie Burns & Co., and distils, with possible silent periods, until 1826
- 1825 The company’s name is changed to Baillie, Hart & Co.
- 1827 The licensee at Airdrie is named as John Baillie
- 1837 The distillery falls silent
- Unknown date Licensed to John Hart
- 1852 Hart is sequestrated and the distillery is finally closed
- Visitor Opening Hours
- Not open to the public
An elusive North Lanarkshire distillery, possibly the precursor to East Monkland.
Heavily peated Lowland malt produced at the short-lived Killyloch distillery in Airdrie.
Distillery & brand
Lowland grain distillery situated within the vast Moffat distilling complex.