A South Lanarkshire distillery near Carluke that closed in the 1830s.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
Avonglen distillery was in the Millheugh area of Larkhall; close to the river Avon, which skirts the town’s west side. Its buildings must have been substantial, as the site was later used as bleach-works.
The distillery was opened in 1827 by Messrs Goold and Burns, though it closed the following year. It resurfaced shortly after under the guidance of John Burns & Co., but closed again within months. Its owner was clearly struggling, as it was sequestrated in 1830.
The site saw greater success in later years as a bleach-works, a role it fulfilled until as late as 1980.
- 1827 Messrs Goold and Burns open the distillery at Avonglen
- 1828 The distillery closes for a brief time
- 1828-29 John Burns and Co. take over Avonglen and distilling resumes
- 1829 The distillery closes once again
- 1830 John Burns and Co. is sequestrated and the distillery closes
A lost Lowland distillery near Lesmahagow in Lanarkshire that survived 15 years from 1825 to 1840.
Distillery established in Lanarkshire in the early 19th century, also known as Wilsontown.
Distiller & blender
Distilling and blending company.