A lost Lowland distillery near Lesmahagow in Lanarkshire that survived 15 years from 1825 to 1840.
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Wilsontown is a hamlet near the village of Forth, about nine miles north-east of Lanark and six miles north-west of Carnwath. It is located on the Mouse Water, east of the A706 from West Calder to Lanark. The distillery was doubtless built on or next to the Mouse Water.
Wilsontown distillery was founded in 1825 by Hugh Goold, who ran it until he was sequestrated and forced to close the following year. The distillery then stood silent for seven years before being briefly revived in 1833. However, it closed for the last time in 1834.
- 1825 Wilsontown distillery is licensed to Hugh Goold
- 1826 The distillery is silent after licensee Hugh Goold is sequestrated
- 1833 Wilsontown is re-opened by new licensees John Stein & Co.
- 1834 The distillery is permanently closed