Modern group created to build and operate Glasgow’s first distillery for over 100 years.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
Although known to have operated in Glasgow, the exact site of Belview distillery is a mystery. A possible location could be the farm known as Belleview, which was operating in Rutherglen as late as 1912.
The excise act of 1823 sanctioned the distilling of whisky and in the ensuing boom numerous distilleries opened to capitalise on this new opportunity. Unfortunately, many of these, Belview included, did not last more than a few years. Licence holder John Bilton opened Belview in 1825 only to close its doors permanently in 1826.
- 1825 John Bilton starts distilling at Belview
- 1826 Belview is closed
Holding company overseeing the construction and operation of the Clydeside distillery in Glasgow.
This Glasgow distillery ran for a brief spell near Bridgeton station in the early 19th century.
A brewery-turned-distillery in the Finnieston area of Glasgow that survived from 1824 until ...