The farm distillery near Wick was licensed for a brief period in 1798.
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
One of many small, short-lived Caithness distilleries that came and went in the early 1800s, Bowertower stood 10 miles north-west of Wick in an area awash with watercourses that fed into the Water of Bower. The Bower itself flowed to the Loch of Wester and finally into Sinclair’s Bay north of Wick.
OS maps still show the name Bowertower but the distillery building long vanished.
John Oal was the licensed distiller at Bowertower from 1826 to 1827, when he was sequestrated. James Leith took over in 1828 but the distillery closed soon after in in 1831.
- 1826 John Oal opens Bowertower distillery
- 1827 John Oal is sequestrated
- 1828 James Leith reopens Bowertower
- 1831 The distillery is permanently closed
An early Caithness distillery near Halkirk that at one point encompassed two sites.
One of the very earliest registered distilleries in Caithness, indeed the whole of Scotland.
A short-lived distillery near Thurso, Caithness, noted as ‘operating’ in 1851-52.