A rural distillery near Wick, Caithness, which opened in 1826.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
The distillery sat 1.5 miles south of Thurso on the Burn of Geise, near the Thurso River and close to the B874 road linking Thurso to Halkirk.
It is an area awash with the Geise name: Newlands of Geise, Upper Geise and Moss of Geise and Geise Houses, where the apparently distillery stood. Its ruins were still visible in the 1970s but may well have vanished by now.
Geise distillery was listed as ‘operational’ in 1851-52, but no indication of when it opened or closed exists.
- 1851-52 Distillery operational. No other information
The farm distillery near Wick was licensed for a brief period in 1798.
An early Caithness distillery near Halkirk that at one point encompassed two sites.
One of the very earliest registered distilleries in Caithness, indeed the whole of Scotland.