Obscure lost distillery near Stirling.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
Cambusbarron distillery is one of the earliest distilleries on record, with its roots in the mid-18th century. The operation was located somewhere in its namesake village, a mile southwest of Stirling.
The precise spot is uncertain, however, the nearby Murrayhall lime works and a residential cul-de-sac called St Thomas's Well are both close to the Raploch Burn. It is likely that the distillery was in the general vicinity of this watercourse, which is today mostly culverted on its way north-east to the Forth.
It is noteworthy that Cambusbarron remained intact, albeit with long silent periods, from 1741 to 1837, at a time when few distilleries lasted more than one or two years.
The distillery was opened in 1741 by John Wilson and Co. and was active until 1754 when a 60-year period of silence began. The distillery was revived in 1814 under John McVey and Co. and went on to change hands several times before finally closing in 1837.
- 1741 John Wilson and Co. found Cambusbarron distillery
- 1754 The distillery falls silent
- 1814 John McVey and Co. restart distilling at Cambusbarron
- 1816 The name on the licence changes to McVey, Morrison and Co.
- 1817 John McVey is listed as sole trader
- 1819 The distillery closes
- 1825 The site is re-opened by John Ferguson, only to be taken over by D McGown
- 1826 McGown is sequestrated and Cambusbarron closes once again
- 1827 M & C Towers reopens the distillery
- 1830 The distillery closes
- 1831 Cambusbarron reopens under John Hall
- 1834 The distillery is silent again
- 1837 James Cuming/Cumming restarts distilling at Cambusbarron but it proves to be for the last time. The distillery closes soon after.
One of many lost distilleries in the Stirling area, but one of the few operated by a woman.
One of Stirlingshire’s many lost distilleries, which operated at the end of the 18th century.
A short-lived rural distillery, located near the Perthshire-Stirlingshire border.