A Stirlingshire distillery with a long history. Also known as Glenmurray and St Thomas’s Well.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Back in the late 18th century, Stoneywood consisted of a mansion house and farm, plus other buildings, south of the River Carron just west of Denny in Stirlingshire. Stonnywood distillery probably sat close to the river, where in the 19th century a dyewood works and paper mill were built, with rail sidings on a branch line off the nearby main line.
Today Stoneywood is Denny’s sole housing estate west of the M80 Glasgow-Stirling motorway, and Stoneywood House and farm, plus the mill, have long vanished. However, one riverside cul-de-sac is called Old Mill Way, as a faint reminder of the past.
Stonnywood distillery was registered to John Johnstone, probably in the early 1780s, only for him to be sequestrated in 1785.
- Early 1780s Stonnywood distillery is registered by John Johnstone
- 1785 Johnstone is sequestrated and the distillery is closed