A short-lived distillery in Kilmahoe parish, Dumfriesshire, that operated in the early 1830s.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
It was located in Buccleugh Street, one of Dumfries's main arteries, on a site that is now council offices, according to current maps. It was some considerable way from the River Nith, but it may have sourced water from there via a long lade.
Alternatively, it may have obtained water from a long-culverted stream or a deep-sunk well. As always with long-gone distilleries, no information is to hand on buildings or stills.
The distillery was licensed to William Hyslop from 1795-98. Then came a two-decade gap until it was re-opened in 1817 by James MacNeil, who was sequestrated in 1824. Finally, William Barry and Sons took over in 1825 but they lasted barely a year.
- 1795 Distillery opened by William Hyslop
- 1798 Distillery closed by Mr Hyslop
- 1817 Distillery re-opened by James MacNeil
- 1824 Mr McNeil sequestrated, distillery closed again
- 1825 Re-opened by William Barry and Sons, but distilling lasts barely a year
- 1826 Distillery finally closed by William Barry and Sons
Dumfries and Galloway