An urban Lowland distillery in its namesake town that distilled intermittently between 1795-1826.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Glencarrick distillery is a difficult one to locate accurately. Its basic OS coordinates place it on the Duncow Burn near the hamlet of Kirkton in Kilmahoe parish, however further north up the Duncow Burn is a house called Carrickrigg, with a disused mill nearby. Distilleries were often converted to mills after they closed. A mid-1800s gazetteer mentions a cascade on the Duncow Burn which once had a distillery close by, although its exact location is impossible to determine.
The earliest record of Glencarrick distillery’s existence is in 1831, though it may well have been operational prior to that date. It was licenced to John Miller in 1833, though the exact date of its closure is uncertain.
- 1831 Evidence of distillery's existence
- 1833 Licensed to John Miller. Closure date uncertain
Dumfries and Galloway