A vanished 19th century distillery, also known as Bank of Bishoptown and Kirkcudbright.
Eden Bank distillery
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Eden Bank distillery is very problematic to locate. The River Eden meanders east through Fife and three possible locations (a farm at Dairsie and a building and road in Cupar itself) are called Edenbank or Eden Bank. Both the farm (too far from the river) and Edenbank Road (a much later residential street) seem unlikely locations.
Cupar's Edenbank House stands in Crossgate, but the rear is close to the river. However, where exactly the distillery stood remains unclear at this time.
The area had one long-surviving distillery, Auchtermuchty, also known as Stratheden, which stood in its namesake village on a burn that fed into the Eden, and survived until the 1920s. And Seggie, one of the biggest early industrial-scale distilleries belonging to one John Haig, stood at Guardbridge where the Eden estuary enters the North Sea.
Eden Bank History
The distillery was reported to be distilling in 1851, but otherwise there is no other information on its existence or history.
- 1851 Distillery reported as ‘operating’. Closure date unknown