A rural distillery near Wick, Caithness, which opened in 1826.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Sibster distillery takes its name from a sprawling conglomerate of several farms and crofts called either Sibster or Sibsterburn. Some sit on the Sibster Burn itself, others on feeder streams of the Halkirk Burn, both waterways that end up in the Thurso River. The distillery could have been located at any one of these farms, or possibly at a farm or croft that has since disappeared.
Sibster distillery was founded in 1825 by Alexander Campbell & Co., which was the distillery’s sole listed licence holder until its closure in 1830.
Today, all of the local farms appear operating or occupied. At the centre of this area now stands Georgemas Junction near Halkirk, where the rail lines from Inverness to Wick and Thurso divide.
- 1825 Sibster distillery is licensed to Alexander Campbell & Co.
- 1830 Sibster distillery closes
The farm distillery near Wick was licensed for a brief period in 1798.
An early Caithness distillery near Halkirk that at one point encompassed two sites.
One of the very earliest registered distilleries in Caithness, indeed the whole of Scotland.