A Stirlingshire distillery with a long history. Also known as Glenmurray and St Thomas’s Well.
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
The distillery was just east of Balfron village, close to what’s now Roman Road. Process water for the site came via a lade from Neils Burn, which went on to feed Endrick Water on its way west to Loch Lomond.
Balfron, also called Balfour, distillery ran for a better-than-average lifespan of nine years, from 1828 to 1837, under George Connell.
- 1828 Balfron is opened by George Connell, or Connall
- 1837 The distillery closes