A distillery at Bonnybridge, near Falkirk, a near-neighbour of Bonnymuir distillery.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
Bonnymuir was one of two distilleries in the village of Bonnybridge, the other being Broomhill, both of which sat beside streams that fed the Bonny River on its way to the Carron. It is likely that these two sites cooperated with each other, possibly in the storage of casks.
It is possible that Bonnymuir was a farm as well as a distillery but if this is the case it disappeared before 1900. There is a Bonnymuir street in Bonnybridge today that probably marks the place the distillery stood.
Bonnymuir distillery was initially licensed to Messrs McGown and Watson in 1831, but McGown left that same year. Andrew James Grossart, or possibly Andrew & James Grossart, took over in 1832. They ran the distillery for several more years, eventually changing its name to Damhead, before closing the site in 1837.
- 1831 Bonnymuir distillery is opened by Messrs McGown and Watson. The former withdraws from the business later that year
- 1832 The distillery is taken over by A&J Grossart
- 1837 The licence holders change the name of the distillery to Damhead, but the firm dissolves shortly after
Distillery & brand
This Lowland malt with its gentle, fruity palate, commands a dedicated following.
One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.
Little is known about this lost Falkirk distillery that ran in the early 1800s.