Also known as Damhead, this now lost distillery was active near Falkirk in the 1830s.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
Broomhill distillery was relatively long-lived by 19th century standards, surviving for nearly 40 years in Bonnybridge, to the north of Broomhill Road. It was situated beside a burn that passed under the Forth-Clyde canal into the Bonny, a small river which flowed eventually into the River Carron. Broomhill was so close to Bonnymuir distillery that there was almost certainly some cooperation between the two.
The distillery is now gone, and the burn that fed it long since culverted. The old site remains as commercial and industrial premises, however the wider area is today mostly residential.
In 1828 William McNeil acquired a licence to distil at Broomhill distillery. It ran consistently for two years before falling silent for a period of 17 years. It was resurrected by George and Alexander Guild, a partnership that saw Broomhill become a relative success. The pair kept the operation alive for a full 20 years, before finally closing the distillery in 1867.
- 1828 William McNeil opens Broomhill distillery
- 1830 Broomhill enters a long period of inactivity
- 1847 The distillery reopens under George and Alexander Guild
- 1867 The distillery closes
Distillery & brand
This Lowland malt with its gentle, fruity palate, commands a dedicated following.
One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.
Little is known about this lost Falkirk distillery that ran in the early 1800s.