A distillery briefly active in the ‘Glasgow collection area’ in the 1820s.
Lowland single malt Scotch whisky
One of the many lost distilleries to grace Glasgow’s streets, Bridgeton (also called Brigton and Hopewell), distillery stood on a spot that is today between Main Street and Savoy Street, halfway from Bridgeton station to the Clyde.
Although current maps show no stream nearby, a watercourse may well have flowed there in the early 1800s.
Bridgeton distillery was licensed to James Walker in 1816 but it closed the following year. It was re-opened by A M Forman in 1825 but closed once again in 1826.
- 1816 James Walker opens Bridgeton distillery
- 1817 The distillery is silent
- 1825 A M Forman reopens the distillery
- 1826 Bridgeton finally closes
Modern group created to build and operate Glasgow’s first distillery for over 100 years.
Holding company overseeing the construction and operation of the Clydeside distillery in Glasgow.
Distiller & blender
Producer of Cutty Sark and Macallan.