A farm distillery in the Cabrach, Aberdeenshire. One of few legally sanctioned sites in the area.
Speyside single malt Scotch whisky
The distillery was at an upland farm on the slopes of Buck Hill, southeast of Upper Cabrach village. It would likely have been housed in one of the byres (barns) there.
As a licensed operation, Buck would have struggled to compete against the many illegal distilleries nearby which paid neither licence fee nor excise duty.
James Smith opened Buck distillery in 1826. In 1833 ownership passed to Elizabeth Smith – either Smith’s wife or daughter, under whom the site closed down some months later.
Buck is today an abandoned ruin, largely hidden from view by a post-war conifer plantation.
- 1826 James Smith is named as licence holder at Buck
- 1833 The licence passes to Elizabeth Smith
- 1833 The distillery closes