A farm-based distillery in the Cabrach, an isolated area of Aberdeenshire.
Speyside single malt Scotch whisky
The Cabrach area was rife with illicit distilling in the early 19th century, compelling many legitimate operations to open and then close quite promptly.
Taking its name from the region, Cabrach distillery stood at Haddoch farm, about half a mile north of Upper Cabrach village.
Cabrach distillery was licensed by James Taylor in 1827 and then by John Taylor, probably his son, in 1831. Cabrach closed in 1834, unable to compete with the many illegal distilleries in the area.
The farm today is abandoned and derelict, as are so many other Cabrach farms and crofts.
- 1827 James Taylor opens Cabrach distillery
- 1831 John Taylor takes on the licence
- 1834 The distillery closes