Camelon distillery

Lowland single malt Scotch whisky

After closing the nearby Laurieston distillery, which suffered from water supply issues, the Stark brothers moved westwards to establish Camelon distillery in the Camelon district of Falkirk, beside the Forth and Clyde Canal.

  • Region
  • Production type
    Single malt
  • Distillery Status
  • Previous names

Camelon History

Camelon seems to have produced near-continuously over its 36-year lifespan, although there may have been a silent period in the 1840s. It opened in 1826 under John Stark, who remained in charge there until his death in 1837. Gunn and Co., later just Thomas Gunn, ran the distillery until it finally closed in 1861.

The site then became the maltings for nearby Rosebank distillery and remained so until 1968. Rosebank itself closed in the early 1980s.

Camelon is today home to a Premier Inn and the Rosebank Beefeater restaurant. The long-moribund Forth and Clyde Canal has today been restored. The Kelpies and Falkirk Wheel are both in the area.  


  • 1826 John Stark opens Camelon distillery
  • 1837 John Stark dies and the distillery is acquired by Gunn and Co.
  • 1851 The distillery is listed as operating
  • 1852 Thomas Gunn becomes licence holder and sole trader at Camelon
  • 1861 Thomas Gunn is sequestrated and the distillery closes


Camelon Road
United Kingdom

See also

  • Rosebank Rosebank Rosebank Distillery & brand


    This Lowland malt with its gentle, fruity palate, commands a dedicated following.

  • Abbotshaugh Abbotshaugh Abbotshaugh Distillery


    One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.

  • Bankside Bankside Bankside Distillery


    Little is known about this lost Falkirk distillery that ran in the early 1800s.

  • Bonnymuir Bonnymuir Bonnymuir Distillery


    Also known as Damhead, this now lost distillery was active near Falkirk in the 1830s.

Scroll To Top