An early Paisley distillery that operated briefly in the late 18th century.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Gallowhill was run by a partnership of James MacFarlane and Elizabeth Harvie, very probably related to the Harvies who operated Dundashill and Yoker distilleries in Glasgow.
The distillery sat in the Gallowhill area of Paisley, north of the town centre on Brewster Avenue, today part of a large housing estate not far from the M8 motorway and Glasgow Airport.
However, 220 years ago the area would have been very largely rural. Current maps show no stream or other water source nearby, but back then a burn, now long culverted and vanished, probably flowed from Gallowhill down to the River White Cart.
Gallowhill distillery was opened in 1798 by James MacFarlane and Elizabeth Harvie, but closed the following year.
- 1798 Distillery opened by James MacFarlane and Elizabeth Harvie
- 1799 Distillery closed