A distillery briefly active in the ‘Glasgow collection area’ in the 1820s.
Garnet Well distillery
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Also called Garnett Well or Cowcaddens, Garnet Well was a short-lived urban distillery in Glasgow that survived just a year from 1825-6 in the Garnethill/Cowcaddens area.
It is one of around 33 lost licensed distilleries in the Glasgow area.
Its OS coordinates would place it today at the junction of West Graham Street, Garscube Road and Cowcaddens Road, close to Cowcaddens station on the city’s underground. What the area looked like nearly two centuries ago is difficult to ascertain, but it is possible that some local burn ran through the area and would have been a water source.
Garnet Well History
The distillery was licensed to William Miller and Co. in 1825 but lasted only a year, closing down again in 1826.
- 1825 Distillery opened and operated by William Miller and Co.
- 1826 Firm ceased trading, distillery closed
Modern group created to build and operate Glasgow’s first distillery for over 100 years.
Holding company overseeing the construction and operation of the Clydeside distillery in Glasgow.
Distiller & blender
Producer of Cutty Sark and Macallan.