A lost distillery located at the town of the same name, close to the River Tay.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Today spelled Gellybanks or Gellybank, it was a rural distillery two miles north-west of Luncarty in Perthshire that survived 17 years under no fewer than six operators.
The distillery stood at Gellybanks farm, which is still farmed today, near the Gelly Burn but with a feeder burn skirting the farmyard, complete with a millpond upstream. Its postal address appears to be under Stanley, a village some miles to the east.
Gillybanks distillery lasted for 17 years on and off, but no one seems to have been able to make a go of it. It was first licensed to John Martinson and Co. from 1817 to 1819, then to Martinsons and Somerville, which was sequestrated in the same year it took over. Another four owners followed, each lasting for little more than a year at a time.
Gillybanks was eventually closed for good in 1834.
- 1817 John Martinson and Co. establish Gillybanks distillery on a farm near Luncarty
- 1819 The distillery is licensed to Martinsons and Somerville, which is sequestrated that same year
- 1821 The next licensee to take on Gillybanks is William Robertson, but the distillery closes in the same year
- 1825 James Brown and Co. takes on the licence, but also close again the following year
- 1827 Gillybanks is re-opened by Robert Greig, who again folds after one year
- Unknown date Gillybanks is finally operational again under the licence of David Malcolm
- 1834 Malcolm is sequestrated, and the distillery finally closes for good
Perth and Kinross