Operator of the Borders’ first legal whisky distillery in 180 years.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Two possible locations exist for Hawick distillery. Two sources place it in Commercial Road, beside the River Teviot, while one source places it in Slitrig Crescent, beside the Slitrig Burn at the long-gone Distillery House Mill. The first option seems the more accurate, as Distillery House Mill was apparently named after some early 1700s distillers, possibly illicit, at that site.
However, Distillery House Mill has a place in history: the great Scots woollens and fashion firm Pringle had its earliest premises there. Also from Hawick came the Usher family, who founded Glen Sciennes distillery, and later a big brewery, in Edinburgh, and built the Usher Hall.
Hawick distillery was licensed to William Ainslie & Co. from 1818 to 1819. After its closure, Ainslie became a bookbinder and librarian, then in the late 1820s emigrated with his family to South Africa and became a farmer.
- 1818 Licensed to William Ainslie & Co.
- 1819 Distillery closed