One of Midlothian’s short-lived farm distilleries that operated for three years in the 18th century.
House of Burn distillery
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
House of Burn – also called House of Burns – was a close neighbour of Clathick distillery at Monzievaird, Perthshire. It stood beside the main road from Crieff to Comrie and St Fillans with a burn flowing past that, after joining others, flowed down to the River Earn. The actual House of Burn is still there today.
Interestingly, the sequestration of its last owner, McAra & Stirling, in 1827 even made the London Gazette in February 1828. Two meetings of creditors were held in the Commercial Inn, Crieff, on 5 and 25 February to tie up matters relating to the business under trustee David Burns.
House of Burn History
House of Burn distillery was opened by Andrew McAra & Co. in 1825 and distilled for a year until the partnership developed into McAra & Stirling. The new company ran the distillery until its sequestration in 1827.
- 1825 The House of Burn distillery is licensed to Andrew McAra & Co.
- 1826 Distilling continues under Messrs McAra & Stirling
- 1827 McAra & Stirling is sequestrated and the distillery closed
Perth and Kinross
A lost Stirlingshire distillery. Not to be confused with the many blends that use the Bard’s name.
One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.
Cumbria-based brewer that created blended Scotch whisky brand, The Glenlivet-Blend.