Also called House of Burns, a lost distillery at Monzievaird, near Crieff in Perthshire.
House of Muir distillery
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
The House of Muir was one of Midlothian’s fleeting distilleries that distilled at the end of the 18th century at House of Muir Farm, north of Penicuik and near Milton Bridge.
The farm buildings are still on current maps, sitting beside the A702 Edinburgh-to-Biggar road, with a small burn close by that feeds into the Glencorse Burn which eventually joins the River North Esk. One ironic touch is that just across the road now stands a water treatment works.
House of Muir History
House of Muir distillery was licensed to James Aikman in 1795. He distilled for three years until the site was closed in 1798.
- 1795 Distillery started by James Aikman
- 1798 Distillery is closed
One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.
Cumbria-based brewer that created blended Scotch whisky brand, The Glenlivet-Blend.
A lost distillery that operated somewhere on Aberdeen’s northern edge in the late 18th century.