A rural farm distillery open in Angus for just a year in the early 19th century.
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Huntly distillery sat on the east bank of the River Bogie close to the town of Huntly and its medieval castle, both being on the west bank.
On current maps, Pirries Mill is today a large farming complex close to the Bogie and with a feeder stream running through it. The original distillery building or buildings were doubtless demolished years ago so pinpointing its exact location is not possible.
The distillery opened in 1824 under the Huntly Distillery Co., but it was possibly mothballed not long afteward. It was restarted in 1832 by John Robertson & Co., which distilled for a remarkable 28 years until 1860 or later. However, Huntly was reported as ‘not operating’ in 1867 and has not distilled since.
- 1824 Huntly distillery is founded by the Huntly Distillery Co., but is shut down that year or soon after
- 1832 After a period of silence, Huntly distillery is re-opened by John Robertson & Co.
- 1860 or later Distilling at Huntly ceases
- 1867 The distillery is noted as ‘not operating’