A distillery briefly active in the ‘Glasgow collection area’ in the 1820s.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Few cities can match Glasgow for change and redevelopment over the decades and centuries. Hence, any traces of Kennyhill have long since vanished. Its OS coordinates place it on the west side of Alexandra Park very close to the M8 motorway and the railway line linking Alexandra Parade with Barnhill and Springburn. Indeed the distillery site may be under the M8.
Kennyhill was among several Scotch distilleries that took the plunge and installed a Coffey still in February 1847. Unusually, it seems the distillery’s eventual demise 20 years later was not sequestration but because of plans to expand Alexandra Park.
Glasgow’s Kennyhill distillery was founded by Walter Stewart jun. & Co. in 1827, although the firm was dissolved just four years later.
Distilling resumed in 1832 under the partnership of Walter and Robert Stewart, which installed a Coffey still in 1847. The partnership lasted until 1866 when Kennyhill was demolished under plans to extend Alexandra Park.
- 1827 Walter Stewart jun. & Co. found Kennyhill distillery in the East End of Glasgow
- 1831 The company is dissolved
- 1832 Distilling resumes under the partnership of Walter and Robert Stewart
- 1847 A Coffey still is installed at Kennyhill
- 1866 The distillery closed and demolished
- 1870 Alexandra Park opens to the public
Modern group created to build and operate Glasgow’s first distillery for over 100 years.
Holding company overseeing the construction and operation of the Clydeside distillery in Glasgow.
Distiller & blender
Producer of Cutty Sark and Macallan.