Malt distillery in the town of Dumbarton that briefly operated during the 19th century.
South Bridge distillery
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Though its exact location is unknown, this distillery’s name logically puts it close to the Bridge of Dee. This historic bridge on the south side of Aberdeen was built in the early 16th century with a £20,000 bequest, a huge sum in those days, from Bishop Elphinstone. One of the city’s main bottlenecks, the Bridge of Dee still carries heavy traffic today.
One source places the distillery in Garthdee Road, north of the river and slightly west of the Bridge of Dee on the Auchinyell Burn, which today is culverted until its last few metres before the River Dee.
South Bridge History
South Bridge distillery was licensed to the appositely named Patrick Still in 1826 and operated continuously until 1837. William Simpson, possibly a sub-tenant, distilled on the site from 1831-32.
- 1826 South Bridge is licensed to Patrick Still
- 1831-32 William Simpson takes on distilling at South Bridge
- 1833-37 Patrick Still resumes distilling
- 1837 South Bridge distillery closes
Lost Glasgow distillery that operated briefly at the start of the 19th century.
This farm distillery was northwest of Kirriemuir, the birthplace of Peter Pan creator J. M. Barrie.
A lost distillery that operated somewhere on Aberdeen’s northern edge in the late 18th century.