Malt distillery in the town of Dumbarton that briefly operated during the 19th century.
Bridge of Don distillery
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
The distillery was probably located near the Old Bridge of Balgownie, this being the only crossing of the Don near Aberdeen until the new Bridge of Don was built 500 metres downstream in 1830. Basic OS coordinates place it on the south bank, but it may alternatively have sat on the north bank in Balgownie.
Bridge of Don History
Bridge of Don distillery opened in 1794 under an unnamed distiller who was bankrupted the following year.
It reopened in 1798 under Easton and Fraser but the partnership dissolved just months later, leaving John Easton to run Bridge of Don single-handed.
He made a good run of it, keeping the distillery operational for a further 20 years, but was eventually sequestrated in 1820, forcing Bridge of Don to close.
- 1794 Bridge of Don distillery opens
- 1795 The distiller at Bridge of Don is bankrupted and production ceases
- 1798 The distillery reopens under Easton and Fraser
- 1799 The licensee’s partnership comes to an end and John Easton takes sole control of the distillery
- 1820 Easton is sequestrated and the distillery is closed
Bridge of Don
Lost Glasgow distillery that operated briefly at the start of the 19th century.
A 19th century distillery that operated on what was then the outskirts of Aberdeen.
A Kirckaldy-located 19th century distillery, whose buildings still survive today.