This Lowland malt with its gentle, fruity palate, commands a dedicated following.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Underwood distillery was located beside a lock on the Forth and Clyde Canal, south of a meander in the Bonny Water. It stood west of what is now the M80 Glasgow-Stirling motorway, quite near the site of the noted but also long gone Bankier distillery.
Underwood was founded in about 1780 by Thomas and George Colvin & Co. which ran the distillery until sequestrated in 1788 and forced to close. Over the subsequent decades, ownership of the distillery passed through five more licensees, all of whom failed to keep the distillery open continuously. Underwood was finally closed in 1826 under the ownership of More and Williamson. The site operates today a house and farm.
- 1780 (approx.) Thomas and George Colvin & Co. found Underwood distillery
- 1788 The Colvins are sequestrated and the distillery is closed
- 1795 Underwood reopens under new licensee Hugh Colquhoun Jr.
- 1796 Underwood closes once again
- 1813 George Maclagan & Co. becomes licensee at Underwood distillery
- 1817 Maclagan is sequestrated but distilling at Underwood continues under Maclagan, Dunlop & Horne
- 1819 The distillery falls silent
- 1821 Underwood is licensed to Robert More of London’s Schiedam gin distillery
- 1825 New owners More & Williamson, operators of Bonnyton distillery, take over at Underwood
- 1826 More & Williamson are also sequestrated and Underwood is closed for the final time
Nr Underwood House
One of 18 lost distilleries in the Falkirk area, Abbotshaugh had a brief existence.
Little is known about this lost Falkirk distillery that ran in the early 1800s.
Also known as Damhead, this now lost distillery was active near Falkirk in the 1830s.