A distillery at Dunbar, East Lothian, that distilled from 1798 until the mid-1830s.
West Tarbart distillery
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
West Tarbart distillery was located somewhere near the West Loch Tarbert foreshore, a short walk from the town of Tarbert on the coast of Loch Fyne. If West Loch Tarbert stretched just one mile further east it would meet East Loch Tarbert and the lower half of Argyll would be an island.
This area contains numerous burns and rivulets making it difficult to deduce which water source supplied the distillery. The distillery was also known as West Tarbet and West Loch Tarbert. A ferry service still runs from West Loch Tarbert to Islay.
West Tarbart History
West Tarbart distillery was established by John McCalman in 1816 and operated under three subsequent licensees before its closure in 1834.
- 1816 West Tarbart distillery is licensed to John McCalman
- 1818 The distillery falls silent
- 1828 Archibald McNicol & Co. takes on the licence at West Tarbart
- 1830 The distillery is licensed to Angus McVicar
- 1831 West Tarbart is silent once more
- 1834 John McAllister takes over operation of the distillery
- 1834 The distillery is permanently closed
Argyll and Bute