Modest sized blender and bottler originally based out of Glasgow as part of Train & McIntyre.
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
A small site, it has a pair of stills which were originally installed in the Lochside distillery but were cut down to size in order to fit into their new surroundings.
The whisky-making process here is taken at a relaxed pace. Ferments are long; distillation slow. The result is a light style.
Virtually unseen as a single malt – it has appeared under the Drumguish and Glentromie labels and is the liquid in the Loch Dhu ‘homage’ Cu Dubh – the distillery’s whisky is still further travelled than many of its compatriots. The mature spirit has appeared, incognito, in blends across Asia, has been launched in Mongolia, is a single malt range (called ‘Spey’) in Taiwan, and has been added to neutral spirit to produce Bhutanese whisky.
The idea of a single malt distillery came to industry legend George Christie in the 1950s. Prior to the construction of Speyside he had built the North of Scotland grain plant in Clackmannan, (some of the remaining casks are being eked out under the Scott’s Selection label owned by George’s son Ricky). It would take 30 years for his Speyside dream to become reality.
In 2013 the distillery and the firm was bought by Harvey’s of Edinburgh with Taiwanese backing.
- 1957 George Christie builds a grain distillery in Clackmannan
- 1962 Christie orders the build of a malt distillery near Kingussie
- 1987 The distillery is completed, 30 years after initial building plans
- 1990 Speyside distillery finally begins producing single malt whisky
- 2000 Speyside Distilleries is sold to a private investment group, including Christie's son, Ricky, Ian Jerman and Sir James Ackroyd
- 2001 Speyside 10 Year Old is launched
- 2013 The distillery is sold to Harvey's of Edinburgh
- 2014 Harvey's releases a new range, Spey from Speyside distillery, predominantly in Taiwan
- 2014 Ex-England footballer Michael Owen is enlisted as brand ambassador for Spey whisky
- Harvey's of Edinburgh International 2013 - present
- 2000 - 2013
- 1962 - 2000
- Visit Website
- +44 1540 661060
- Visitor Opening Hours
- Not open to the public
Gaelic-orientated independent bottler, based on the Isle of Skye.
Distiller & blender
An arm of Nikka Whisky Distilling Co.
Distiller & blender
Owner of Tomatin distillery and producer of Antiquary, Talisman and Cù Bòcan whiskies.