The heavily-peated single malt brand produced at Campbeltown’s Springbank distillery.
Campbeltown Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Hazelburn is one of three styles of single malt made at Springbank distillery in Campbeltown. While the bulk of the distillery’s output is concentrated on producing the Springbank malt, 10% of its production time is dedicated to creating the heavily peated Longrow, and a further 10% to the triple-distilled Hazelburn.
By using unpeated air-dried malt and triple distillation on two stills, the resultant spirit is light, fruity and subtle. It is currently available in 10- and 12-year-old expressions.
In the past Hazelburn has been released in limited numbers at a variety of ages and, as with all bottlings from J&A Mitchell, Hazelburn is neither chill-filtered nor coloured and is bottled on-site at 46% abv unless otherwise stated.
The Hazelburn single malt is named after a former Campbeltown distillery that ran from the early-18th century until 1925, but in its short lifetime grew to become the biggest in the area.
Springbank distillery, itself licensed since 1828, first began producing triple-distilled spirit in 1997 and the first Hazelburn whisky bottled in 2005 as an 8-year-old. Three different labels were created to mark the brand’s first edition, each featuring a different aspect of Springbank: its maltings, stills and casks.
The core range now also features 12- and 10-year-old expressions, which were introduced in 2009 and 2014 respectively.
- 1828 Springbank distillery takes out its first legal distilling licence
- 1925 Campbeltown’s Hazelburn distillery is mothballed
- 1997 Springbank distillery begins triple distillation for a new style of single malt whisky
- 2005 Hazelburn is released for the first time as an 8-year-old single malt
- 2011 A limited edition 8-year-old Sauternes cask-finished expression is launched
- 2014 Hazelburn 10-year-old is introduced
- 2016 J&A Mitchell releases a 9-year-old Hazelburn finished in Barolo wine casks
- J&A Mitchell & Company 1997 - present
One of the oldest independent whisky bottlers in Scotland.
High-end Campbeltown deli-turned-independent bottler that became a Cadenhead outlet.
Distiller & blender
A subsidiary of J&A Mitchell, which operates Glengyle distillery and produces Kilkerran single malt.