A once popular blend named after the monarch who introduced distilling licences in 1823.
Highland Nectar Profile
Blended Scotch Whisky
The ‘H’ word has been used in countless Scotch blends from Highland Breeze, Highland Mist, Highland Milk, Highland Stag… you name it. Highland Nectar was a DCL brand from the start under its Distillers Agency offshoot that was set up in around 1880 to focus on exports.
Early on, Highland Nectar acquired its distinctive triangular decanter-shaped bottle, and came to be sold in two expressions: Rare Old Whisky and Deluxe 12 year-old, at 43% abv.
Highland Nectar History
The Distillers Agency Ltd was set up as an export branch for the Distillers Company Ltd (DCL) soon after it was founded in 1877 out of six whisky firms including John Haig & Co.
It was a separate company with its own blending, bottling and warehousing in South Queensferry, and officially incorporated in 1924. As an entity it was still going in 1983, when Philip Morris recorded its address in his Schweppes Guide to Scotch as 13 Maritime Street in Leith. Its brands included Highland Nectar and King George IV, which were both trademarked around 1880-90.
The company originally held the license for Knockdhu, one of the first distilleries built for DCL that now belongs to Inver House Distillers. Later, The Distillers Agency Ltd held the licence for Rosebank until it closed for good in 1983.
Highland Nectar was produced solely as an export brand, and continued to be sold until at least the 1960s.
- 1877 The Distillers Company Ltd is incorporated
- 1880s Highland Nectar is registered as a brand
- 1924 The Distillers Agency is officially incorporated
- 1960s Highland Nectar is still in production
Distiller & blender
Scotch whisky giant that assumed virtual control of the Scotch whisky industry.
An early 20th century ‘Scots’ blend that became a surprise hit in Australia.
A defunct whisky blender based in Leith, which once held the licence for Teaninich distillery.