One of Scotland's oldest distilleries.
Crown of Scotland Profile
Blended Scotch Whisky
The Crown of Scotland blended Scotch whisky appeared in the mid-1970s and probably contained Littlemill and Loch Lomond malts.
It was available in a variety of sizes for export.
Crown of Scotland History
Crown of Scotland’s origins are American although the brand first appeared in the mid-1970s and was relatively short-lived.
It was owned by Barton Distilling (Scotland) Ltd, the Scottish arm of Chicago-based Barton Brands Inc.
Barton operated Littlemill distillery from 1959 and gained total ownership in 1971 when the American entrepreneur DG Thomas, who had acquired Littlemill in 1931, was finally bought out. Loch Lomond distillery was later constructed in 1966 to increase group capacity.
Barton Brands was then taken over by Amalgamated Distilled Products plc in 1982, which closed Littlemill two years later and sold Loch Lomond to Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse Ltd in 1986. As its whisky was a core part of the Crown of Scotland blend, it’s likely the brand also disappeared around the same time.
- 1966 Loch Lomond distillery is built by Barton Distilling (Scotland) Ltd and American Duncan Thomas
- 1971 Barton Distilling gains full control of Littlemill distillery
- Mid-1970s The Crown of Scotland blend is introduced by Barton Distilling
- 1982 ADP acquires Barton Distilling
- 1984 Littlemill distillery is mothballed
- 1986 Loch Lomond distillery is sold to Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse Ltd