Blended malt created to closely mirror the style of one of Speyside’s lost distilleries.
Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
The Lossit blended malt is an educated recreation of the style of whisky thought to have been produced at one of Islay’s lost distilleries.
Created using historical information about the distillery, which operated from 1826-67, the blended malt is peated and matured in ex-Sherry casks.
The expression is available as part of The Lost Distillery Company’s Classic Selection.
Lossit distillery was built by Malcolm MacNeil near Ballygrant village on Islay in 1826. It operated under stop-start ownership until it was acquired in 1867 by Bulloch Lade & Co., the Glasgow-based distillery and blender which had also picked up Caol Ila the previous year. However, it appears Bulloch Lade never really operated the distillery at all, merely purchasing the business for its stocks which may have been a component of its Bulloch Lade blend.
In 2016 the style of whisky produced at Lossit was recreated by The Lost Distillery Company as a blended malt.
- 1826 Lossit distillery is founded by Malcolm MacNeil near Ballygrant
- 1867 The distillery is permanently closed
- 2013 The Lost Distillery Company is established
- 2016 Lossit blended malt is released by The Lost Distillery Company
- The Lost Distillery Company 2016 - present