This 19th century distillery near Aberfeldy stood silent for much of its 42-year history.
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
Blackhill distillery was uphill from Edradynate, about seven miles west of Ballinluig and four miles northwest of Aberfeldy.
Its water source was the Cluny Burn, which then cascaded down to the Tay.
The sheer isolation of this early distillery must have made it a difficult commercial proposition, although three distillers attempted to make a success of it. The first was James Steven, from 1798-99, next was Alexander Thomson and Co. in 1833, and finally there was Allen Thomson, possibly a son, in 1837.
Blackhill farmhouse still stands today and was for sale in 2014 at about £390,000.
- 1798 James Steven opens Blackhill distillery
- 1799 The distillery closes
- 1833 Blackhill is reopened by Alexander Thomson and Co., but closes again that same year
- 1837 Allen Thomson opens the distillery for the last time but it does not last the year
Perth and Kinross