The home of Dewar's World of Whisky.
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
The Perthshire distillery of Camserney sat in a cluster of farms and cottages beside the Camserney Burn, just east of Dull village – the birthplace of John Dewar. In 1890, long after Camserney’s demise, Dewar’s two sons, John Jr. and Tommy, built Aberfeldy distillery nearby, which survives as the home of the Dewar’s blend in Scotland.
Camserney – also spelled Camsairnie and Camsine – began distilling in 1821 under John McGregor and Co. It was taken over by Alexander Menzies and Co. in 1825, though the new owner survived for just one year. The licence was passed to Duncan McDonald and Co., which distilled until 1832 when it appears to have mothballed the site.
Camserney reopened again in 1834 under David Livingstone and Co., but failed to last out the year before closing for a final time.
Although traces of the distillery are gone, the farms at Camserney are still on maps today.
- 1821 John McGregor and Co. starts distilling at Camserney
- 1825-26 Alexander Menzies and Co. takes over the licence
- 1825 The licence passes to Duncan McDonald and Co.
- 1832 Camserney falls silent
- 1834 David Livingstone and Co. takes charge of the distillery, but Camserney closes later the same year
- 1834 Camserney closes
Perth and Kinross