An 18th century Black Isle distillery, also known as Dunvornie or Dunvournie.
Highland single malt Scotch whisky
The Black Isle distillery was located near Braelangwell House, a Georgian mansion built in 1790 near Poyntzfield on a burn of the same name.
Braelangwell distillery was opened in 1826 by George Andrews, but he was sequestrated in 1831. Not one to give in, Andrews managed to reopen Braelangwell and operated it until 1843, when he was sequestrated yet again.
An 1882 Scottish gazetteer describes Braelangwell as ‘an estate and distillery in Kirkmichael Parish, East Ross-shire’. Braelangwell mansion still exists today and operates as a bed and breakfast.
- 1826 Braelangwell distillery is licensed to George Andrews
- 1831 Andrews is sequestrated but manages to re-open the distillery
- 1843 Andrews is sequestrated again
Ross and Cromarty
A distillery at its namesake village in the Black Isle with a 35-year history, 22 of them silent.
A rural distillery at Beauly, in Inverness-shire, that stood beside the river of the same name.
A here-and-gone distillery at Culbokie in the Ferintosh area of the Black Isle, Easter Ross.