A rural distillery at Beauly, in Inverness-shire, that stood beside the river of the same name.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Findon was an estate of three or more farms (Mill of Findon, Mains of Findon and Bog of Findon) plus a mansion, Findon Lodge, at Culbokie, a village on the west coast of the Black isle facing on to the Cromarty Firth. The Findon Burn ran down from Findon Wood, past the farms into the firth. It is not known which of the three farms hosted the distillery but it is just possible that it stood at Mill of Findon, as distilleries always needed a mill to grind the malt. But the case for Mill of Findon is not cast-iron. There were many distilleries in the Black Isle (it is actually not an island, but a peninsula) over the years, both legal and illegal.
The distillery was opened and operated by Donald Allan in 1798, but closed the following year.
- 1798 The distillery is opened and operated by Donald Allan
- 1799 Donald Allan ceases trading, distillery closed
Ross and Cromarty