A defunct distillery on the Black Isle, near Poyntzfield.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
One source states the distillery sat in what is now Canonbury Terrace, which is the main A832 road from the A9 to Fortrose and Cromarty.
It would have sourced its water from the Craig Burn that flows down into the Moray Firth to the west of Chanonry Point, the long peninsula whose far end is said to be the best place in the UK to observe dolphins, and also has a monument and plaque to the great Highland mystic, the Brahan Seer, on the site of his execution. It is uncertain that any remains of the distillery still exist and no information on the buildings, stills and output is available.
The distillery was first licensed to Colin Matheson and Co. from 1817 to 1819, and then to John Stirling from 1824 to 1830. Fortrose Ross & Cromarty distillery fell silent for 22 years until John MacBain distilled again in 1852, however he closed the distillery again that same year.
- 1817 Colin Matheson and Co. opens the Fortrose Ross & Cromarty distillery
- 1819 The distillery is closed after two years in operation
- 1824 Fortrose Ross & Cromarty is re-opened by John Stirling
- 1830 The distillery is closed once again
- 1852 John MacBain restarts production after a 22-year hiatus, but the distillery is closed for the last time in the same year
Ross and Cromarty
A rural distillery at Beauly, in Inverness-shire, that stood beside the river of the same name.
An 18th century Black Isle distillery, also known as Dunvornie or Dunvournie.
A here-and-gone distillery at Culbokie in the Ferintosh area of the Black Isle, Easter Ross.