French-owned Elgin distillery.
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Also spelled Emzie and Engie, Enzie was a rural distillery near the harbour village of Portgordon – then Banffshire, now Moray – from 1827 to 1833.
From vague OS coordinates, it seems the distillery sat about a mile south of Portgordon amid a hamlet of farms, crofts and cottages bearing the name Enzie. It would have sourced its water from the Tynet Burn, or one of its many feeder streams. One near-neighbour distillery that is still going strong today is Inchgower, about a mile away on the main A98 Fraserburgh-to-Fochabers road.
The distillery was first licensed to John and James Bennett and Co. from 1827-33, then to J & T Bennett & Co. in 1833.
- 1827 Enzie distillery is opened and operated by John and James Bennett and Co.
- 1833 Distilling is continued by J & T Bennett and Co.
- 1833 The company ceases trading and the distillery is closed
Braes of Enzie